Co:Here housing breaks ground
Co:Here Housing Community is a 26-unit project that will see co-residents – individuals, couples and families – living alongside individuals vulnerable to homelessness, to help foster a community of support within the building.
The project is based on a community development approach to supportive housing that emphasizes the connections between people from different economic, cultural, health and societal backgrounds, in order to provide support services.
Located at 1723 Victoria Dr., the building will include 18–20 units for people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness and 6–8 units for low to moderate income individuals, couples and families. Once complete, Co:Here Housing Community will be managed and operated by Salsbury Community Society.
- Streetohome Foundation will provide $520,000.
- The governments of Canada and British Columbia will provide a combined investment of up to $3.5 million through the Investment in Affordable Housing initiative.
- The B.C. Government will provide over $1 million in construction financing and approximately $300,000 in long term financing.
- The City of Vancouver will provide $742,000 in contributions and reductions.
- The Societies have secured grants from CBWC and VanCity totalling $75,000 and capital donors have provided over $4.5 million for the project.
- The land, valued at approximately $2.6 million, was provided by the Grandview Calvary Baptist Church